Wednesday, 27 January 2010

My Lovely Neighbour B

I know I said I would be more organised and that I would blog more regularly, but all those good intentions were swiftly overtaken by last week's events. On Thursday I found my lovely neighbour B collapsed on her kitchen floor.

I have to say that I am not usually very good in a crisis as I tend to panic and cry...I'm not really sure what happened to me that afternoon, but I really surprised myself! Poor B had a nasty cut on her head and the side of her face was all swollen and purple. There was a lot of blood, B was vomiting and choking due to the bad chest that she suffers from and, despite her injuries, she kept trying to get up, while I struggled to keep her on side, hold a cloth over her head wound and follow instructions from the lady on the receiving end of my 999 call.

B is still hospital. Miraculously, she has no broken bones, despite falling onto a stone floor (good going for a lady who's just turned 70), but has a nasty cut above her eye and bruises that are working their way through the colour spectrum! She's undergoing various tests to try and establish what caused her to fall - B doesn't remember anything of what happened, which, in some ways, is a good thing. She is in good spirits, but missing her two pussy cats very much indeed!

I have visited B in hospital each day, taking her the things that she needs from home, offering reassurance about the well-being of these two much-loved moggies...


and, generally, keeping her company during the long days that stretch ahead of anyone in hospital.

I just did what I had to do last Thursday afternoon and I didn't panic and cry. It was only when my husband said "you realise you probably saved B's life" that a tear rolled down my cheek.
Back soon,
Rebecca
x

7 comments:

  1. That is very sweet of you and I agree with your husband. Well done for being a strong and supportive friend to your neighbour.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too tend to panic and cry whenever there is anything amiss and badly wish for a grown-up to appear (I always feel as if I'm about ten years old trapped inside a much older body!) so I can only admire your ability to remain calm and look after your neighbour so well. I'm sure she is so grateful for all your support and I do hope she feels better soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A tear in my eye too - well done you! Hope your neighbour is soon on the mend and back with her cats and her neighbour in a million!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your poor neighbour. I hope she is on the mend soon. You have been a wonderful friend by helping her.
    I fell over in my kitchen at Christmas...but it was my own silly fault. Nevertheless, it shook me up . I was carrying a jug of gravy, which went everywhere!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done you! I am sure she is so grateful you found her, helped her and are now taking the time to visit her and look after her two cats.
    Love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Rebecca. I am sure it will help B's recovery knowing you are looking after her cats and taking time to visit her.
    She is lucky to have a loving, caring neighbour like you. Yes, your OH is right, you did save a life.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I do hope that your neighbour will be feeling better soon and they discover why she fell....how lucky she was to have such a good neighbour...somone was watching over her last thursday....

    ReplyDelete