Tuesday, 9 March 2010

Time

Blue sky...such a welcome sight after so many cold, dark, wintry days!




On Sunday, I decided to move the garden bench into the sunshine and sit for a while with a cup of coffee and a piece of flapjack...and just enjoy! Oooh, it was so lovely to feel the warmth of the sun on my face - the last time was so long ago! It was not sunbathing weather by any means as I was wearing my thick cardi and fleece for warmth elsewhere, but it lifted my spirits no end!



It was lovely to see signs of spring around the garden, to watch the birds come and go, and hear them twittering from the tree tops. It reminded me of one of my favourite poems, 'Leisure' by William Henry Davies (1871-1940):


What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.



I am so looking forward to spring and more opportunities to sit and stare...it didn't take long and made me feel very happy indeed!

Back soon,

Rebecca

x

5 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca, so glad you are enjoying your sunny weather and blue skies! I had to smile when I saw your photo of "just the blue" of the sky. :) It's funny what we take for granted. Sometimes I get so bored waking up to that "blue" sky everyday that when we get an occasional and I mean very occasional rain storm, I'm like you, with my coffee, blanket, sitting outside undercover, smelling the rain, listening to the thunder and loving every moment! Thank you for sharing and making me appreciate the blue sky! :) Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you so much for sharing both your pictures and this poem. I'm feeling so overwhelmed by juggling my tasks at the moment that I really needed that reminder to take some time to enjoy the beautiful things that I do have rather than just rushing around. Will try to go into the garden for coffee tomorrow and look at the crocuses if it's sunny! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that poem.
    I think we are having more blue sky than we did in the summer!!
    It's a welcome sight! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooohhhh, that is my favourite poem - just beautiful xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favourite poems too. That little vase of snowdrops is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete