Tuesday, 25 August 2009

Meat, Two Veg & Tea

Despite having left home over 20 years ago, I still have bits and pieces in my mum and dad's loft!! Slowly but surely everything is making its way here - mum asks if I'd like to look through a box when we visit, or brings things with her when she comes up to Yorkshire! Whilst having a sort out here yesterday, I came across a couple of those things...

my school cookery apron (that mum made for me!) and my school cookery book, which makes entertaining reading - I sound like a 1950s housewife throughout most of it, despite writing it in the 80s!

I had to write a little piece about a local food shop and I chose the local butchers, which, rather confusingly, was called 'Bakers'. Goodness, meat prices have certainly shot up - leg of lamb for £1.54 per pound anybody?

My neighbour (on the other side of us from the lovely B) brought round some lovely looking beetroot this morning, along with a not so perfect looking courgette! It certainly wouldn't make the supermarket shelves! But, I'm looking forward to it as part of roasted veg with some ham from the joint I roasted yesterday. Why do vegetables have to look a certain way? Is it us that want it that way, or are we being dictated to by supermarkets?

Mmm...a nice refreshing cup of tea ! I've gone back to using loose leaf tea - well, it happened out of necessity last week when we had run out of tea bags (disaster!!) and I've decided to stick with it because I think it tastes better! It doesn't really take too much longer to make a small pot and there's something slightly comforting about warming the pot and covering it with a lovely vintage embroidered tea cosy while the tea brews!

Back soon,
Rebecca
x

8 comments:

  1. Gosh that cookery book looks detailed! I love my Earl Grey Tea but still use tea bags, at least these days everything like used bags ends up on the compost heap!
    Love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iknew I like you the minute I saw the Portmerion. I have been collecting this for years here in Chicago. Harder to get here in the states. But, after more than 25 years,it's still my favorite slice of life. Reminds me of being out in the garden. Love the beets, great picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our veg comes in interesting shapes, it would be much more interesting to have veg with character in the supermarkets wouldn't it.
    Adele

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for you lovely comments Rebecca. I had a look back at your poster and I want that one too now, so I'll have to keep a look out for it. They're great aren't they.

    Loved the idea of lemon drizzle buns too rather than a loaf.

    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just discovered your blog, and it makes a great read. Recently my Dad unearthed my Sindy, Pippa and Daisy dolls from his loft. I must confess I recently threw much of my old schoolwork away, deciding that I cannot keep everything. I chose Food & Nutrition as one of my options at school in the late 70s/early 80s, and would have drawn those very same diagrams in my exercise book! My Dad gave me some beetroot recently, I love the stuff, warm with mayonnaise. I remember as a kid we had a plastic loose tea dispenser on the wall, which Mum would fill with PG Tips! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me again!
    I have given your blog an award. Pop over to mine to pick it up!
    Love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how cute you still have your cookery book from school! :)
    I never tried loose leaf tea, hummm... sounds like I should try it then. :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Were we at the same school?! My folks also have a lot of my things too although when they moved north to Scotland from the West Midlands fortunately most of my school things got heaved! But their barns have all sorts of bits of furniture and boxes of 'stuff'.
    I like Port Merion too though have litle but I LOVE that embroidered cloth. My Earl Gey has to be strong so it comes in bags from the Co-op their own Fairtrade range and is squeezed out HARD. Lovely post
    CKx

    ReplyDelete