Friday, 10 July 2009

Nancy's Hankies

I came across this little bag a couple of months ago and fell in love with it straight away...



I say 'little' - it's about 8" square! It's falling apart a bit at the seams and the embroidery is not the neatest I've ever seen but I love it! I love its little handmade button, the traces of blue embroidery transfer that can be seen between the flowers and that there can be no doubt of its purpose: "Nancy's Hankies". Inside there is a small, white embroidered name tape that confirms Nancy's surname - it is here that my imagination runs away with itself...did Nancy go to boarding school, I wonder? Were Nancy's hankies as pretty as the little bag in which she kept them? I could never part with it!

Well...I guess I need to head back to the kitchen now to tidy up a bit more, make a bit of lunch and then mop the floor!! Boring stuff...but it has to be done! Anyway, I have a nice day to look forward to tomorrow as I shall be teaching one of my workshops, where we shall be making some of these:


and having a natter over tea and cake! Oh, yes...I always take pretty tea cups, saucers and homemade cake!!

Have a lovely weekend!

Rebecca
x

6 comments:

  1. I love the little hanky bag.I wonder who owned it all those years ago?!
    Hope the workshops go well! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delightful and I love your little hanky case. I couldn't part with it either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've a weakness for vintage things just like your little bag, partly for it's beauty and charm but I also love to imagine the history behind each piece - who owned it, where did they live what their life was like etc
    Your workshops sound fun!
    Louise
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rebecca,
    What an interesting bag! Makes me wonder about Nancy too. :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am working on finding the perfect purse, a hard task, it turns out. The one you found is so cute and has such great character!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh but that is delicious. I absolutly love vintage embroidered things. So much time and patience went in to them. Really envy your find!
    CKx

    ReplyDelete