Tuesday, 16 June 2009

Good Books

I simply adore books and could quite happily spend hours in a book shop - a secondhand book shop that is, not somewhere like Waterstones! One of my favourite places is Much Ado Books in Alfriston, which is always on the "Must Visit" list when we travel south to visit my in-laws. Alfriston is gorgeous and the bookshop, well ... I could spend the day there! It has such a lovely atmosphere, places to sit, even bookcases in the garden where chickens roam around, oooh... and lavender shortbread, if you're lucky! There was an article in February's Country Living magazine about the shop and its lovely American owners - you can find out a bit more about it (and the shop!) here http://www.muchadobooks.com/.

Anyway, getting to the point of today's post - Good Books - or should I say Good Buy Books! I am so happy to have stumbled upon this 1949 edition of Dorothy Whipple's Because of the Lockwoods for less than the price of a paperback - just looking at it brings me so much joy (sad, I know!). I've nearly finished reading Winifred Watson's Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day and cannot wait to get started on this one!

I wonder if the lady that lived here in 1949 read Mrs Whipple's novels?

Rebecca x

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rebbecca, thanks so much for thinking of me.... yep all went well & (thankfully) I sold lots... so was well worth it...!
    What was nice, was to see what other things people make, am just about to put a new post on my blog, with a few pictures.....
    thanks again,
    Marion ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I found you on Folksy and thought I'd have a little look at your blog :) I absolutely LOVE your yoyo brooches they are so cute! I am now a follower too - hope thats ok! XX Gem

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must read it..I recently read another Dorothy Whipple book,'Someone at a distance'
    I've just read 'A Fortnight in September'...again! I love that one.
    Mis Pettigrew is one of my faves too ;-)
    I love books ;-)

    ReplyDelete