Friday, 6 May 2011

A garden coffee break

Whenever possible I like to have one of these in the garden:
and take time to look around at what's happening and enjoy things,

like the fragrant wisteria blooms that are almost coming to end.

I like to see how plants are coming along, like this bay, which is a new addition to the garden. I shall be keeping a close eye on this one as we've never had any success with growing bay, but love to have it around as we use it so often in the kitchen. Hopefully, this one will survive!

I'm also excitedly checking the new raised beds daily for any signs of activity from all the seed planting that went on a few weeks ago. So far we have spinach, various salad leaves, including rocket, which is a real favourite of mine, spring onions, beetroot and, I think, a glimpse of a carrot seedling or two. Oh, the anticipation...I am so looking forward to abandoning the supermarket salad leaves and picking my own fresh from the garden again.
I also check up on the various plants and pots that are being taken in and out at the moment so as to avoid any sneaky overnight frosts. Can you see a glimpse of a yellow bean?
These seedlings are doing very well...



and, if they continue to do so, the garden will be full of these, which is no bad thing as we love tomatoes! After all, who can resist a plate of gorgeous homegrown tomatoes with basil and mozzarella drizzled with delicious extra virgin olive oil served with some crusty bread!

As I sit, or wander around, I am not alone...Audrey, or Audrey Hepburn as she is known when she is misbehaving, is at my feet. Here she is, having one of her funny moments, hence the blurriness: She has been a great addition to the household and has brought smiles and laughter to some very unhappy times this year.





When my 7 year old niece was staying with us in February, she could not get to grips with the name Audrey and kept calling her 'Ordinary'! She certainly is no 'ordinary' cat...I've never known one to lay like this:

Here she is beside me while I work...oh, what a life!



Bye for now,

Rebecca

x

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely garden you have and it looks like you've been busy! My cat Smudge who passed away at the end of 2009 used to lay like Audrey! She's very cute!

    Fingers crossed your bay lasts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post. Haven't you been busy!
    Our cats regularly lie like either across the bottom of the bed or out in the sun especially our long haired one. I love tickling their tummys when they do it!
    CKx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have a rabbit that laid like that! I like to spend time just looking at the garden, but I don't like coffee though, urgh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is looking lovely, wish it would rain though!
    We've had several cats over the years but none have laid like that, usually full length on their backs expecting a tummy tickle.
    Glad to hear you are getting some smiles back into your life.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cats can be the funniest animals, Audrey looks so content, it's a tough life eh?! Must be lovely to have a companion whilst you work - my other half is allergic to almost all pets, but I do long for a cat... deep sigh!! Jenny xx

    ReplyDelete