Tuesday, 14 April 2009

Thrifty Finds

I love having a good old rummage in charity shops and at jumble sales and, last week, managed to do quite well at both! I found these at my favourite charity shop:

The tea cups cross stitch was hastily whipped out of its horrid pink frame and washed ready to be turned into something where the time and effort that have gone into its tiny stitches can be appreciated! The extra wide, old wooden rolling pin is just perfect for pizza dough - my growing son's ever increasing appetite requires larger and larger pizzas!! And the frame, well, I can never resist a wooden frame - this pine one looks as though it has never been used and cost 60p!

At the jumble sale, I picked up a large, thick cotton, floral bedspread for 50p - again, it's been in the washing machine, line dried and awaits its next adventure! I'm not sure what that will be yet but I love its pastel shades of lilac, pink, peach, grey and lemon. I found a gorgeously soft and fluffy cashmere jumper for my daughter that looks as good as new for 25p! I am always on the lookout for 100% wool items for felting so you can imagine my delight when I was hit on the head - yes, hit on the head! - by a gorgeous red with purple, pink and blue fair isle lambswool cardigan!! A lady was sorting through a large pile of her rummagings and, obviously, the cardigan was not for her so she hurled it the 6 feet or so back to the crowded jumble table! "Thank you", I'll have that!! It was scary in there - quite a bit of elbowing and shoving going on! Jumble sales are becoming increasingly hard to find - this one happens every couple of months and is always well supported.

I might go to an auction this week - something else I love to do when I have the time! And, of course, I shall be back for a rummage in my favourite charity shop!

Off to crochet more summery flowers now using bamboo yarn, which is gorgeous to work with. I am going to try to post more than once a week but, as with everything that I plan to do, it's getting around to it!! There are simply not enough hours in the day!

Bye for now,

Rebecca x

1 comment:

  1. The teacup cross stitch is lovely. It makes you wonder why anyone would give something so pretty away. X

    ReplyDelete