Friday, 3 April 2009

Thank You!

Well ... here it is ... my first post on my first ever blog! After months of deliberation and being nagged by my children, I've finally done it!

At around this time last year, a young recruitment consultant told me that I was 'high risk' and would not be able to 'hit the ground running' in any of the jobs he had available. Why? Well, thanks to the support of a wonderful husband, I had been able to leave full-time work in 1993 to raise two children, look after my family and home, whilst also doing voluntary work in school, small part-time jobs, and achieving a first class BA(Hons) degree in English!

I decided that, if I was so very unemployable, I would find a way of employing myself! And, one year on, I am doing just that. I have my own very small crafts business called rebeccamaryjane's (you can find me here http://www.folksy.com/shops/rebeccamaryjane, I do freelance work for my local council running art and craft sessions for youngsters during the school holidays and, just a few weeks ago, I taught my first adult craft workshop!

I am extremely happy, much more than I ever could have been in an office. Here I am enjoying my sewing, knitting, crochet, thinking of Eastery things for the youngsters to make next week, whilst watching the the garden in all its Spring glory - who would have thought that work could be so much fun! I am so lucky - "Thank You" young recruitment consultant!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there...
    Good on ya...! your 1st ever blog eh...?
    welcome to the wonderful world, of fun, & like minded band of craft people.... I hope you enjoy the ride... love your folksy shop bits...
    P.S love a bit Shirley B....to !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Thank you for visiting my blog. I am fairly new to blogging too and really enjoy sharing ideas wth other like minded bloggers.
    I like the name that you have chosen for your blog!
    I am much happier working for myself than in an office too. So pleased I left all that behind years ago!
    About to look at your folksy link.
    I hope that you are having an enjoyable Easter weekend
    Isabelle x

    ReplyDelete