Thursday, 17 February 2011

Things will never be the same again

My lovely brother-in-law lost his battle against cancer on 21st January, having just had his 49th birthday earlier that week. Words cannot begin to express our sadness...things will never be the same again.

We said goodbye to Kevin last Thursday. It was a cold, wet and windy day, but Kevin is now at rest in a beautiful churchyard, where I noticed that snowdrops and daffodils were starting to push their way through. Spring is on its way.

My husband spoke about his brother at the service and concluded with this anonymous poem:

Feel no guilt in laughter, he'd know how much you care.
Feel no sorrow in a smile that he is not here to share.
You cannot grieve forever; he would not want you to.
He'd hope that you could carry on the way you always do.
So, talk about the good times and the way you showed you cared,
The days you spent together, all the happiness you shared.
Let memories surround you, a word someone may say
Will suddenly recapture a time, an hour, a day,
That brings him back as clearly as though he were still here,
And fills you with the feeling that he is always near.
For if you keep those moments, you will never be apart
And he will live forever locked safely within your heart.

We are trying to carry on the way we always do.

Back soon,

Rebecca
x

7 comments:

  1. I feel your hurt. I lost my brother at the end of January last year to cancer. I miss him so much, and yes memories keep me going. On the anniversary of his death I helped his little girl (8 years old) decorate a paper lantern which we later set off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca, so very sorry to hear of your loss, it must be so hard. The poem has brought tears to my eyes, lovely words and very true. Look after yourself, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca - I am sorry to hear of your loss. Having recently lost a close family member I can understand how you are feeling.

    Vicki xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Condolences on your loss. Life can be so cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very moving poem. So sorry to hear of your loss.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rebecca, what a awfully sad post, so sorry to hear about your brother-in-law, far to young to die. Cancer is such a cruel cruel disease.

    What a lovely poem, it made me well up just reading it.

    Sending you hugs and this very sad time.

    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very sorry to read of your loss - I am still grieving for my mum, but of course the loss of parents is somehow expected, this is so awful, so painful. I do send you lots of love xxxx

    ReplyDelete