Thursday, 1 November 2012

Why the HCOCF?

 I am very excited to be launching a limited edition rebeccamaryjane's Handbag Mirror & Pouch today to raise funds for a charity that is close to my heart: the Household Cavalry Operational Casualties Fund (HCOCF).

"Why the HCOCF?" I hear you ask...well, just over 23 years ago I met and fell in love with a Household Cavalry soldier while he was staying at Bodney Camp.   It was all rather whirlwind (some said it would never last!)...we met over the August Bank Holiday of 1989 and I just knew I had to be with this man.  I visited him in London a few times...a tour of Horse Guards, a ball.



I did what I had to do to make the move down from Norfolk to London possible and we were living together by Christmas of that year.  By Christmas of the following year, we were married and, in the six years that followed, we had two delightful children. 

 

We weren't separated due to army commitments too often, but I distinctly remember the months when David was away in Bosnia in 1995, especially that awful feeling when the phone rang at an unusual hour or when there was an unexpected knock at the door.

David always returned safely to us...and for that I shall always be grateful.

David had wanted to be a soldier since he was a little boy and he did it...a job that he loved until the day he left, having served 22 years in the army.  It's his 53rd birthday today so I thought it only fitting to launch these special HCOCF mirrors today - Happy Birthday love!  We are the lucky ones.

I do hope that people like the mirrors and choose them as Christmas gifts this year so that more funds can be raised to help the HCOCF with all the work that is doing to support soldiers and their families.

Rebecca
x

1 comment: